Sunday, May 02, 2010

Pillow Talk :)

Last night when Mr. finished playing his video game for the night, we headed to bed. Since we are puppy sitting, Irie has been enjoying sleeping with us instead of his crate (since the visiting dog sleeps in Irie's crate). Before Irie will go to sleep, he typically demands attention by needing kisses and jumping around the bed until he finds his little spot. Last night, he settled underneath the bed, so Mr. and I were able to talk without the possibility of a dog tongue finding our tonsils :)

Our first topic was aviation engines. Mr. was explaining things and trying to get me to ask questions, but I don't feel like I really know enough about engines and aviation crafts to be able to ask decent questions. He then went on to tell me about a kind of engine that doesn't have a starter or a stopper and has the potential to go infinitely fast, IF the wind was strong and fast enough. My thoughts are: What is the point if you cannot control it? You cannot control the wind and you have to glide it to begin with, it just seems a bit pointless to me. Just my thoughts, but maybe if I do a little research I will understand better.

Then we got onto the topic of diseases and viruses. I do not even know how we got there, but we couldn't agree with each other. We were trying to decided which is worse, a disease or a virus. Mr. argued a disease is worse: Parkinson's Disease. I argued a virus is worse: AIDS virus. I decided I was right, he decided he was right, so we went to sleep. This morning I looked it up on Merriam-Webster.com and here is what I found:

Main Entry: dis·ease
Pronunciation: \dizēz\
Function: noun
2 : a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms

Main Entry: vi·rus
Pronunciation: \ˈvī-rəs\
Function: noun
2 a : the causative agent of an infectious disease
b : any of a large group of submicroscopic infective agents that are regarded either as extremely simple microorganisms or as extremely complex molecules, that typically contain a protein coat surrounding an RNA or DNA core of genetic material but no semipermeable membrane, that are capable of growth and multiplication only in living cells, and that cause various important diseases in humans, lower animals, or plan

So I guess we were both wrong. If a virus causes a disease, how can one decide which is worse?

I love the crazy conversations we have before bed :)

1 comment:

  1. What intersting topic for pillow talk! I love pillow talk...and miss it extremely right now:(

    ReplyDelete